Friday, March 26, 2010

Going it the Mobile Way...

It has been almost two and half years since I opened up my business providing “mobile” oral health services! As, I look back I can’t believe how far I have come.

I provide oral health services on location for seniors and those living with disabilities. Most of my daily schedule involves going to long-term care facilities to provide exams, x-rays, ‘teeth cleaning’, and other services such as caries control. Many of these individuals have not had access to preventive services, as many dentists do not provide services on-site for these individuals. There are even few dental hygienists in the Calgary area providing this essential service.

Many families are grateful for having a mobile service. The stress on caregivers and the families in taking care of their loved ones living in a long-term care is sometimes overwhelming. There are many appointments that are needed outside of the care facilities. This makes it hard to schedule regular on-going preventive care outside of such institutions. Many family members and caregivers are still working and have to schedule days off for these appointments. Transportation involving the handi-bus may also make one appointment take up a whole day. There are many letters and notes thanking me for all that I do on-site for our seniors. Those especially with dementia find change hard, which includes being taken out for appointments.
I also provide oral care to the general public and many that are insured under the Alberta Health and Welfare program at Amery Denture Centres in the Northeast of Calgary. Many of these individuals have not been seen by a dental health care professional in a long time. This is providing a great need for those in the underserved population. It is truly a rewarding experience!

I have had the pleasure of getting to know many of our seniors. They have a lifetime of experiences to share. It is wonderful to hear their stories and remember those that have passed. It helps me to remember never to take life for granted.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom just got some calgary denture clinic for my little brother, because he either needed posts or dentures